Monday 2 March 2015

REVIEW: 'Gone Home'




Gone Home was released two years ago, and garnered a surprisingly large buzz around it thanks to its nostalgia for the utter horror that was the 90’s and its surprisingly touching love story. It also drew a sizeable backlash thanks to its gameplay and its surprisingly touching love story. I picked the game up a few months ago, and whilst waiting for Hotline Miami 2 to finally come out – now seems a good time to dive into a very different indie darling. 

You play as Kaitlin, a young adult who’s just returned from travelling around Europe and has returned to her home: which is the largest house in the freaking world. But you turn out to be the most boring character here. Your parents have gone away, as has Samantha your sister. Using bits of paper and Sam’s excellently voice-acted journals, you discover piece-by-piece what’s happened in your absence.

You only hear Kaitlin talk once, and I really like how she’s characterised by the descriptions that pop up when you highlight objects. Wave your mouse over an ugly sweater and the word: “Ew” will appear. It’s much better than it sounds, trust me.

It’s basically the part of Bioshock where you walk around finding audio-logs but without the part where you shoot people. And this sounds admirable, but I don’t think this game realises that exploration games have been done before. The cynically titled ‘walking simulator’ genre has frequented Steam ever since people started modding Half Life 2 and realised you could remove the guns and still have an interesting experience. This is not new, but innovation doesn’t necessarily mean progress. 


Truthfully: the plot is rather good. Whilst you’ve probably heard what it’s about, I always like to keep things spoiler-free here; and like other games that tackle a similar subject manner it actually helps if you don’t know it’s what it is until you experience it. More games need to surprise players like this. It’s also told through scraps of paper found around the environment…although the game is still linear in its progression and there’s no danger of missing anything or learning anything out of synch.

The chilling atmosphere created is a bluff, however. Whilst you’ll jump at the intermittent lighting-strikes, and hesitate before opening a door into a darkened room…there’s nothing. The game hints that the house might be haunted, but this goes nowhere and the lighting soon becomes really, really annoying.  Later, the touching aspect of the game arrives to pleasantly surprise you – but this means there’s no replayability. It’s the same problem Amnesia: A Machine of Pigs had: the game fools you into thinking something horrific is going to happen…but it never shows up. Granted, it keeps the tension going, but again: no replay value. 


And now we come to the biggest problem with the game: It’s overpriced. Currently, Gone Home costs a whopping £15 on Steam. I completed this game in two hours. I only went back and replayed it so I could take screenshots for this review. Since there is no replay value, the game has now been uninstalled from my computer to free up space. I know Triple A gaming is a ripoff these days, and I know Steam Early Access is only for those with a fear of money and good games – but I feel kinda robbed.

This game feels like a standalone mod. I understand that this was made on a micro-budget with a limited team, but the story of the developers is one I’ve heard countless of times before and better, cheaper games have spawned from them. The Stanley Parable is £5 cheaper, I’ve played it for about 20 hours, and now I intend to play it again since I’ve just mentioned it.

If this game was free, I wouldn’t necessarily be gushing; but I would strongly recommend it. If this game was £6, I would encourage you to play it if you get the chance. Since this is a £15 game that provides two hours of entertainment in a market flooded with first-person exploration games, all of which are cheaper and many of which are better – I’m afraid I can’t recommend. Sorry.